So, I wrote a few months ago about the gameÂ Monster of the Week. The second edition of the game has just been released – today – by the new publisher,Â Evil Hat Productions. It is, as I noted in my earlier post, a fantastic game, and the second edition has more material that makes it even better. You should go buy it.
To help encourage you to do that, and for those who already have, I’m linking some mysteries that I’ve created for the game. I mentioned these in that earlier post, and someone asked to see them. I checked with author Michael Sands and publisher Fred Hicks, because I didn’t want to step on anyone’s toes1, and they gave me the go-ahead. So, here you go: three2 mysteries, written up in the note form I use for them.
- Unnatural History is a mystery put together from one of the two example mysteries in the book. I fleshed it out a little, and organized it into a structure that I found I liked.
- The Desrick on Yandro is inspired by the short story of the same name by Manly Wade Wellman. It’s one of the Silver John stories, and I love it. So, backwoods town with something scary out in the dark.
- Project MAROON SPHINXÂ is more of an X-Files kind of mystery, with something going wrong at a government research lab. This may be the loosest of the mysteries, as the Keeper will need to decided where in the countdown the players enter the game, and what the town looks like at that point.
There it is. Buy the game. Download the mysteries. Let me know if you run one of them, and how it works for you.
Most importantly, go kill some monsters.
- Or illegally distribute anyone’s copyrighted material without permission.
- I have a fourth, but upon reviewing it, I think it needs significant work to be ready for anyone’s eyes but mine.