Name: Jean-Louis Boniface
Address: No fixed address, Winnipeg, MB
High Concept: Lost Paladin
Personal Struggle: An act of desperation cast him out. Can any acto of contrition gain him redemption?
Where Did You Come From?
Born more than a century ago, Jean-Louis barely remembers his own name and never uses it. He has survived every member of his family, and buried most of his friends. His early years are a confused blur to him. A religious education that got him work as a laborer building the St. Boniface Cathedral in 1905 [the fourth on the site and the most impresssive by far]. Jean-Louis felt himself bound the the structure in some way he could not identify. He became the asssistant caretaker in 1910, then was put in charge of the growing cemetery in 1912. He was the only member of his family to survive the Influenza Pandemic of 1918, he was in the trenches of FranceHe returned to his home later that year and devoted himself to the cathedral. Over the years he stopped several attempts to destroy the Holy site, surprising himself when he directed God’s correction upon the malefactors.
What Shapes You?
Quietly over the decades, Jean-Louis aided those in need as God directed. Through His love, Jean-Louis healed the sick, corrected the fallen, even cast out infernal influence. He did only as God directed, never profitting from his actions. And, as God directed, he was discreet – often those who benefited from his aid were none the wiser as to his involvement. In 1922, jean-Louis was almost killed in a fire that resulted from demon-worshippers attacking St. Boniface college. The chapel, college and hall were destroyed, nine lives were lost. Jean-louis quietly removed any evidence of the conflict before the authorities arrived. The cause of the blaze remained a mystery. In this way decades past, with Jean-Louis changing little or not at all. Until the wee hours of July 22, 1968, when an evil force once more attacked the Cathedral. Jean-Louis barred its way, holding it off until early afternoon, when a young woman visited the Cathedral and was subsumed by the infernal. When she attacked the cathedral, Jean-Louis was a ware only of the hellfire blazing from her outstretched hands, not of the innocent creature inhabited by them. He struck to defend his charge and took an innocent life. After that he remembers nothing. But, the Light that had filled, him, the Music that surrounded him was gone when he awoke.
What’s Your First Novel?
Johnny Boniface struggles with the emptiness of his soul while a number of children go missing in the inner city. He uncovers corruption in the Archdiocese, which hid the ongoing sacrifices. He tracks down the defrocked priest responsible, just in time to save the latest victim. The dead children badger Crazy Tom to seek out Boniface to ask him to avenge them. Learning from his contacts of the Two Waters spirits, Artemis Black learns of Boniface’s noble acts and arrives in time with a spirit which guides the souls of the children away from being drawn into the abyss
- Forsaken by the Light, shadowed by death.
- “I will fight the darkness, though it fill my soul.”
- “I will survive.”
- Bereft of Angelsong.
- “I will look where I must.”
- “I know where things are buried.”
- Blade of cold iron.
- Investigation (Superb +5)
- Weapons (Superb +5)
- Perform (guitar, sing) (Great +4)
- Discipline (Great +4)
- Contacts (Good +3)
- Conviction (Good +3)
- Alertness (Fair +2)
- Athletics (Fair +2)
- Lore (Fair +2)
- Empathy (Average +1)
- Endurance (Average +1)
- Presence (Average +1)
- Rapport (Average +1)
- Intimidation (Average +1)
- Wall of Death - Johnny is skilled at keeping your opponents at a distance. When he has a weapon in hand, opponents who try to close with him for close combat face a border of one. They may ignore this border, but Johnny gains +1 on his first attack against them if they do.
- Quick Eye - When examining a location for clues, Johnny’s eye is quick to pick out the visual details. His first Investigation roll to determine deeper details about a scene is two time increments faster than usual.
- Unshakeable – When defending against psychological assault with Discipline, any of Johnny’s aspects (such as consequences or other temporary or permanent aspects) that get tagged provide only a +1. If the attacker chooses to tag for a reroll, Johnny may lock down one of his – dice, leaving him only the other three to re-roll.
- I Know Just the Guy - When he’s just looking to gather some information from his network of contacts, Johnny has some pretty unerring instincts for finding the right person, fast. When using the Gathering Information trapping, his efforts are at a +1, and are 1 time increment faster.
Refresh Rate: 6
Fate Points: 6